In April 2020, the LMU Klinikum München in Munich, Germany, started the prospective COVID-19 cohort study Munich (KoCo19) in cooperation with two partners. For the serological analysis of the blood samples the researchers used the two EUROIMMUN Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISAs IgA and IgG (see published protocol). In the study, venous blood samples as well as capillary blood from the fingertip were investigated. Both samples types can be analysed with the ELISAs.
Further information on the study (german)
On 4th June, the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), one of the most relevant medical institutions in India and central Institution in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, declared that they have validated three test systems for the detection of IgG antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, among others the EUROIMMUN Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG), and approved them for seroprevalence studies on SARS-CoV-2 in population groups at risk in India.
Also Public Health England, an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care in the United Kingdom are now applying the EUROIMMUN-Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG) to monitor the seroprevalence of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in the British population.
Report Public Health England
LabCorp, a leading global life sciences company with headquarters in the US, has also opted to use the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG) from EUROIMMUN and has been offering a “Return to Work” service for employers since 14th May. This includes, among other services, testing for antibodies against the new coronavirus using a kit for at-home sampling by the user (collection of a blood drop from the fingertip) and the subsequent laboratory blood analysis by means of the EUROIMMUN ELISA.
Press release LabCorp
On 8th May 2020, Sonora Quest Laboratories, the market share leader in diagnostic laboratory testing in Arizona, announced they have started performing COVID-19 antibody tests. Sonora Quest also opted to use the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG). The laboratory stated they will start off by performing approximately 3,000 determinations per day and expand their capacities step by step.
Press release Sonora Quest Laboratories
ARUP Laboratories, a leading national reference laboratory in the US with customers all over the country, has been using the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG) as a second antibody test for COVID-19 diagnostics since 13th May 2020. “The EUROIMMUN test can also help clinicians understand the level of the antibody response and the duration of long-lasting immunity to the disease” says ARUP’s chief medical officer Julia Delgado in their press release.
Press release ARUP Laboratories
Beaumont Health, the largest healthcare provider in Michigan, US, has performed internal validation studies on the EUROIMMUN Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA IgG and now uses it for the most comprehensive serological study in the US. First, 38,000 employees of Beaumont and patients shall be tested. Subsequently, the test systems shall also be provided to other hospitals.
Press release Beaumont Health
Quest Diagnostics, one of the largest laboratory chains worldwide is convinced of the good quality of the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA (IgG) after performing their own validation studies and now uses the EUROIMMN ELISA in the testing of blood samples for infections with SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).
Presse release Quest Diagnostics
The “Heinsberg study” was realised in the municipality of Gangelt (North Rhine-Westphalia) by Prof. Dr. Hendrik Streeck and Prof. Dr. Gunther Hartmann from the University of Bonn and their research team. More than 900 persons were tested for COVID-19, among others using the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA. The study confirmed the high specificity of the EUROIMMUN ELISA and showed a good correlation with a neutralisation assay.
University Clinical Centre Hamburg Eppendorf
Prof. Lohse, Clinical Director of the 1st Medical Clinic and Polyclinic (Gastroenterology with the Infectiology and Tropical Medicine sections) at the University Clinical Centre Hamburg Eppendorf and his team analysed more than 1100 blood samples from employees using the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA IgG. At a press conference on 22 April 2020 he reported on the results and summarised as follows: “The test appears to be specific, even very specific.”
- Amendola et al. Dried Blood Spots as an Alternative to Plasma/Serum for SARS-CoV-2 IgG Detection, an Opportunity to Be Sized to Facilitate COVID-19 Surveillance Among Schoolchildren. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2020
- Beavis et al. Evaluation of the EUROIMMUN Anti-SARS-CoV-2 ELISA assay for detection of IgA and IgG antibodies. Journal of Clinical Virology 2020
- Behrens et al. Perceived versus proven SARS‑CoV‑2‑specific immune responses in health‑care professionals. Infection. 2020
- Benucci et al. Presence of specific T cell response after SARS-CoV-2 vaccination in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving rituximab. Immunol Res. 2021. [Online ahead of print]
- Bond et al. Evaluation of serological tests for SARS-CoV-2: Implications for serology testing in a low-prevalence setting. J Infect Dis. 2020
- Brand et al. Broad T Cell Targeting of Structural Proteins After SARS-CoV-2 Infection: High Throughput Assessment of T Cell Reactivity Using an Automated Interferon Gamma Release Assay. Front Immunol. 2021
- Caturegli et al. Clinical Validity of Serum Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 A Case–Control Study. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2020
- Charlton et al. Evaluation of 1 six commercial mid to high volume antibody and six point of care lateral flow assays for detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. JCM. 2020
- Devresse et al. T cell and antibody response after two doses of the BNT162b2 vaccine in a Belgian cohort of kidney transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2021 [Online ahead of print]
- Dolscheid-Pommerich et al. Correlation between a quantitative anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG ELISA and neutralization activity. J Med Virol 2021
- Emmenegger et al. Population-wide evolution of SARS-CoV-2 immunity tracked by a ternary immunoassay. Preprint medRxiv 2020
- Emmerich et al. Limited specificity of commercially available SARS-CoV-2 IgG ELISAs in serum samples of African origin. Preprint medRxiv, September 18, 2020 doi: 10.1101/2020.09.15.20159749
- Emmerich et al. Longitudinal detection of SARS-CoV-2-specific antibody responses with different serological methods. J Med Virol 2021
- GeurtsvanKessel et al. Towards the next phase: evaluation of serological assays for diagnostics and exposure assessment. Preprint medRxiv. 2020
- Harvala et al. Convalescent plasma therapy for the treatment of patients with COVID-19: Assessment of methods available for antibody detection and their correlation with neutralising antibody levels. Preprint medRxiv. 2020
- Harvala et al. Convalescent plasma treatment for SARS-CoV-2 infection: analysis of the first 436 donors in England, 22 April to 12 May 2020. Euro Surveill. 2020.
- Haselmann et al. Comparison of test performance of commercial anti-SARS-CoV-2 immunoassays in serum and plasma samples. Clinica Chimica Acta. 2020
- Herroelen et al. Humoral Immune Response to SARS-CoV-2: Comparative Clinical Performance of Seven Commercial Serology Tests. Am J Clin Path. 2020
- Hillus et al. Safety, reactogenicity, and immunogenicity of homologous and heterologous prime-boost immunisation with ChAdOx1-nCoV19 and BNT162b2: a prospective cohort study. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Hoerber et al. Evaluation of three fully-automated SARS-CoV-2 antibody assays. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020
- Huzly et al. Validation and performance evaluation of a novel interferon-γ release assay for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 specific T-cell response. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Infantino et al. Closing the serological gap in the diagnostic testing for COVID-19: The value of Anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgA antibodies. J Med Virol. 2020
- Jahrsdörfer et al. Independent side-by-side validation and comparison of four serological platforms for SARS-CoV-2 antibody testing. J Inf Dis. 2020
- Kaltenbach et al. Initial characterisation of ELISA assays and the immune response of the clinically correlated SARS-CoV-2 biobank “SERO-BL-COVID-19” collected during the pandemic onset in Switzerland. Preprint medRxiv. 2020
- Keeton et al. SARS-CoV-2 spike T cell responses induced upon vaccination or infection remain robust against Omicron. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Knauer et al. Interim analysis of the Clinical performance of five SARS-Cov-2 Serology Assays. Clin Biochem. 2020
- Kohmer et al. Clinical performance of SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibody. J Med Virol. 2020
- Ladage et al. Persisting adaptive immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in Lower Austria. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Lange et al. Immune Response to COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine - A Pilot Study. Vaccines 2021
- Lippi et al. Assessment of immune response to SARS-CoV-2 with fully automated MAGLUMI 2019-nCoV IgG and IgM chemiluminescence immunoassays. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020
- Mahajan et al. Performance of Abbott Architect, Ortho Vitros, and Euroimmun Assays in Detecting Prior SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Preprint medRxiv. 2020
- Meyer et al. Validation of a commercially available SARS-CoV-2 serological immunoassay. Clin Microb Inf. 2020
- Montesinos et al. Evaluation of two automated and three rapid lateral flow immunoassays for the detection of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. J Clin Virol. 2020
- Naranbhai et al. T cell reactivity to the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant is preserved in most but not all prior infected and vaccinated individuals. Preprint medRxiv. 2022
- Orth-Höller et al. Kinetics of SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies (IgM, IgA, IgG) in non-hospitalized patients four months following infection. J Inf. 2020
- Redd et al. CD8+ T-Cell responses in COVID-19 convalescent individuals target conserved epitopes from multiple prominent SARS-CoV-2 circulating variants. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Redd et al. Minimal cross-over between mutations associated with Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 and CD8+ T cell epitopes identified in COVID-19 convalescent individuals. Preprint bioRxiv. 2021
- Padoan et al. IgA-Ab response to spike glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2 in patients with COVID-19: A longitudinal study. Clin Chim Acta 2020
- Schiffner et al. Long-term course of humoral and cellular immune responses in outpatients after SARS-CoV-2 infection. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Schrezenmeier et al. Immunogenicity of COVID-19 Tozinameran Vaccination in Patients on Chronic Dialysis. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Schwarz et al. Delayed Antibody and T-Cell Response to BNT162b2 Vaccination in the Elderly, Germany. Emerg Infect Dis. 2021
- Serrano et al. Comparison of commercial lateral flow immunoassays and ELISA for SARS-CoV-2 antibody detection. J Clin Virol. 2020
- Serre-Miranda et al. Performance assessment of 11 commercial serological tests for SARS-CoV-2 on hospitalized COVID-19 patients. Preprint medRxiv. 2020
- Stankov et al. Humoral and cellular immune responses against SARS-CoV-2 variants and human coronaviruses after single BNT162b2 vaccination. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Streeck et al. Infection fatality rate of SARS-CoV-2 infection in a German community with a super-spreading event. Nat Commun. 2020
- Strengert et al. Cellular and humoral immunogenicity of a SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine in patients on hemodialysis. Preprint medRxiv. 2021
- Stringhini et al. Seroprevalence of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in Geneva, Switzerland (SEROCoV-POP): a population-based study. Lancet. 2020
- Stumpf et al. cellular and humoral immune responses after three doses of BNT162b2 mRNA SARS-CoV-2 vaccine in kidney transplant. Transplantation. 2021 [Online ahead of print]
- Tehrani et al. Specificity and Performance of Nucleocapsid and Spike-based SARS-CoV-2 Serologic Assays. Preprint medRxiv. 2020
- Theel et al. Performance Characteristics of Four High-Throughput Immunoassays for Detection of IgG Antibodies against SARS-CoV-2. J Clin Microbiol. 2020
- Traugott et al. Performance of SARS-CoV-2 antibody assays in different stages of the infection: Comparison of commercial ELISA and rapid tests. Inf Dis. 2020
- Tré-Hardy et al. Validation of a chemiluminescent assay for specific SARS-CoV-2 antibody. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020
- Tretyn et al. Differences in the concentration of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies as a result of post-covid or/and post-vaccination immunization. Preprint Research Square. 2021
- Valdivia et al. Inference of SARS-CoV-2 spike-binding neutralizing antibody titers in sera from hospitalized COVID-19 patients by using commercial enzyme and chemiluminescent immunoassays. Preprint medRxiv. 2020.
- Wechselberger et al. Performance evaluation of serological assays to determine the immunoglobulin status in SARSCoV-2 infected patients. J Clin Virol. 2020.
- Weidner et al. Quantification of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies with eight commercially available immunoassays. J Clin Virol. 2020
- Weisser et al. Evaluation of dried blood spots as alternative sampling material for serological detection of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies using established ELISAs. Clin Chem Lab Med 2021
- Wolf et al. Monitoring antibody response following SARS-CoV-2 infection: Diagnostic efficiency of four automated immunoassays. Diagn Microbiol Infecti Dis. 2020